Travel Choice: Cruise Ships or Rockets?
The city of Cape Canaveral is located at the southern tip of a barrier island on the Atlantic coast of Florida. It is due south of the geographical feature Cape Canaveral (known as Cape Kennedy from 1963 to 1973). It is separated from the mainland by the Banana River, Merritt Island and the Indian River from east to west.
Some Factual Data
Population in 2012: 9,954 (100% urban, 0% rural).
Median resident age: 51.4 years (Florida: 41.3 years)
Estimated median household income in 2011: $40,698 (Florida: $44,299)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2011: $160,350 (it was $83,100 in 2000) (Florida: $151,000)
Mean prices in 2011:
- All housing units: $229,070
- Detached houses: $350,115
- Townhouses or other attached units: $185,969
- In 2-unit structures: $253,096
- In 3-to-4-unit structures: $162,086
- In 5-or-more-unit structures: $241,648
- Mobile homes: $31,895
Median gross rent in 2011: $833.
- White alone - 8,793 (88.7%)
- Hispanic - 669 (6.8%)
- Black alone - 163 (1.6%)
- Two or more races - 108 (1.1%)
- Asian alone - 99 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 38 (0.4%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 38 (0.4%)
For population 25 years and over in Cape Canaveral:
- High school or higher: 93.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 32.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.2%
- Unemployed: 14.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cape Canaveral city:
- Never married: 25.4%
- Now married: 47.0%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 20.1%
Cape Canaveral compared to Florida state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.