A Great Place To Hit The Beach
The town's name is derived from the town's location between the Indian River Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean. Indialantic is situated on the barrier island that separates the Indian River Lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean. This island, approximately 35 miles in length, stretches south from Cape Canaveral to the Sebastian Inlet. The Melbourne Causeway connects Indialantic to the city of Melbourne across the Indian River Lagoon. Indialantic is bordered on the south by the town of Melbourne Beach and on the north by unincorporated Brevard County.
Some Factual Data
Population in 2012: 2,732 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: -7.2%
Median resident age: 49.9 years (Florida: 41.3 years)
Estimated median household income in 2011: $58,573 (it was $62,181 in 2000) (Florida: $44,299)
Estimated per capita income in 2011: $44,822
Estimated median house or condo value in 2011: $241,233 (it was $150,300 in 2000) (Florida: $151,000)
Mean prices in 2011:
- All housing units: $444,974
- Detached houses: $478,247
- Townhouses or other attached units: $257,205
- In 2-unit structures: $260,938
- In 3-to-4-unit structures: $570,141
- In 5-or-more-unit structures: $256,788
Median gross rent in 2011: $985.
- White alone - 2,475 (91.0%)
- Hispanic - 143 (5.3%)
- Asian alone - 46 (1.7%)
- Two or more races - 44 (1.6%)
- Black alone - 7 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.2%)
- Irish (17.8%)
- German (16.3%)
- English (16.2%)
- United States (5.7%)
- Italian (4.9%)
- Scotch-Irish (3.1%)
For population 25 years and over in Indialantic:
- High school or higher: 97.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 51.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.8%
- Unemployed: 8.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Indialantic town:
- Never married: 19.7%
- Now married: 57.9%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 11.1%
Indialantic compared to Florida state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.