A Great High School and Great Shopping
Merritt Island is a census-designated place in Brevard County, Florida, located on the eastern Floridian coast,
along the Atlantic Ocean. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 34,743.
Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center are located on the northern part of Merritt Island. The southern area is heavily residential, with centralized light commercial and light industrial areas.
The island does not belong to any official city. The central part of Merritt Island, previously known as Merritt City, is home to the majority of the population and includes the local high school, library, and shopping district.
Some Factual Data
Population in 2010: 34,743. Population change since 2000: -3.7%
Median resident age: 47.6 years (Florida: 41.3 years)
Estimated median household income in 2011: $54,274 (it was $43,532 in 2000) (Florida: $44,299)
Estimated per capita income in 2011: $31,271
Estimated median house or condo value in 2011: $169,713 (it was $113,000 in 2000) (Florida: $151,000)
Mean prices in 2011:
- All housing units: $284,218
- Detached houses: $298,465
- Townhouses or other attached units: $198,261
- In 3-to-4-unit structures: $188,816
- In 5-or-more-unit structures: $226,084
- Mobile homes: $77,510
- Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $9,068
Median gross rent in 2011: $877
- White alone - 28,720 (83.2%)
- Hispanic - 2,312 (6.7%)
- Black alone - 2,060 (6.0%)
- Asian alone - 770 (2.2%)
- Two or more races - 543 (1.6%)
- American Indian alone - 89 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 25 (0.07%)
- German (15.8%)
- Irish (14.1%)
- English (11.7%)
- United States (9.0%)
- Italian (7.5%)
- French (3.8%)
For population 25 years and over in Merritt Island:
- High school or higher: 92.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 30.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.2%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Merritt Island CDP:
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 52.8%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 13.8%
Merritt Island compared to Florida state average:
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.